Work With Us
Buckminster Fuller Institute Executive Director
Buckminster Fuller Institute is looking for an experienced executive director to take our organization to the next level.
The Buckminster Fuller Institute
Since its founding in 1983, the Buckminster Fuller Institute (BFI) has championed the vital role of whole-systems thinking and design. A beacon of possibility, BFI’s educational programs, convenings, and media productions have attracted a worldwide network of people and partners. The Institute identifies and supports initiatives that demonstrate comprehensive strategies that solve wicked problems in ways that help make humanity become net positive to nature. Building on the success of our programs and the global community that has gathered around them, BFI is entering an exciting new phase of its evolution, launching a number of new initiatives to launch Fuller’s vision for the 21st century.
The ideal leader will have expertise in creatively implementing systems-wide continuity in programs and strategies across a wide range of realms that BFI system thinking empowers. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have operational responsibility to implement BFI objectives throughout our teams, programs, and expansions. Familiarity with Buckminster Fuller’s work is important to awaken the relevance of Fuller-inspired concepts and strategies for the 21st century. Your role will be to engage with and weave the global network of BFI inspired and aligned systems thinkers as we elevate the Institute as a recognized and respected “go-to” hub of comprehensive solutions for Spaceship Earth.
Leadership & Management
- The Executive Director of the Buckminster Fuller Institute team will be responsible for sustained management and leadership of current programs as well as innovating new partnerships and programs that will empower the BFI ecosystem.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, through rigorous program evaluation and continuous improvement.
- Actively engage, build, energize and empower BFI’s team and constituency: our membership, board members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Strategically develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; seek and build board involvement with clear direction for both optimizing ongoing operations and implementing objective-aligned innovations.
- Lead, coach, develop and empower BFI’s team to excel.
- Recommend and build relationships with partners capable of creating an ecosystem to reach, and scale global progress through multiple channels.
- Regularly evaluate programs, teams and components to keep them current.
Fundraising & Communications
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations and expansion: advancing BFI into an organization that scales to $10M+ annually.
- Expand, deepen and refine all aspects of BFI communications.
- Creatively use external presence, partnerships, and relationships to both explore and expand relevant opportunities.
- Operationalize efforts with partner organizations to drive expansion.
The ED will have a history of being aligned with efforts complimentary to BFI’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, strategic growth, and relationship management experience. Specifically:
- Advanced degree, with senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and scaling an outcomes-based organization and team.
- Track record of operationalizing strategies that evolved organizational relevance, effectiveness and growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs, their design and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach, manage, and develop a high-performance team, set and achieve strategic objectives, align objectives with incentives and manage to budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors and teams with the ability to cultivate new local to global relationships as relevance becomes apparent.
- Well versed in technology, distributed teams and outsourcing with vendors that can allow BFI to grow and scale as quickly, efficiently and economically as possible.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders, markets and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project design and creation capability.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable. Innovative approach to design, planning and execution.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism and the integrity to lead a mission-driven organization.
BFI is always looking for energetic and talented volunteers to help us with various tasks and projects and bolster their CVs in the process! If you live in the Bay Area and are interested in volunteering your time and ideas through a stint at BFI, please contact us so that we can keep you updated on upcoming events and opportunities.
In your email, please include your availability, interest in becoming involved with BFI, your resume, and any specific skills you would be able to contribute as part of our team.